Answers to Churches' FAQs About
1. How much does ABR charge for Charlie to come and speak?
This is the most common question ABR gets, so we'll start by answering it. ABR does note charge a "speaker's fee" for Charlie to come and teach. All we ask is that churches:
A. Cover Charlie's travel expenses if he is flying to your event (airfare, airport parking, hotel, and rental car). He lives in San Diego, California.
B. Prayerfully consider an honorarium of whatever amount the church leadership thinks is appropriate, which might vary depending on the size of the church, Charlie's traveling time, multiple services, multiple topics, etc.
FLIGHT RELATED QUESTIONS:
2. Where does Charlie fly out of?
San Diego (SAN) or Orange County (SNA), California, whichever offers the best price, flight times, and most direct route.
3. Should we book Charlie's flight or will ABR do it?
ABR prefers to book Charlie's flights (and hotel, rental car, etc.) and then to be reimbursed with a check that can be handed to Charlie Campbell or mailed to our office after the event.
HOTEL / LODGING QUESTIONS:
4. Does Charlie prefer to stay with a host family or at a hotel?
Hotel. For ten years Charlie traveled around the country often staying with host families and in dozens of two-star motels (with thin walls, loud plumbing, cigarette odor, etc.). He has some great stories! But in 2015 the ABR leadership team decided that in the interest of the teachings flowing out of a well-rested speaker, three-star hotels are the wiser choice. Hotels like Hilton Garden Inns, Courtyards, and Hampton Inns, though slightly more expensive, usally provide for a much better night's sleep.
*If your venue is south of Lompoc/Santa Barbara, in California, a hotel will not be needed. Charlie will drive to your event.
5. Should we book the hotel or will ABR do this?
ABR will book the hotel. A three-star hotel typically runs $100-200 per night. The cost of the hotel will be included in his travel expenses, which ABR will email you a week or two before the scheduled teaching event.
RENTAL CAR QUESTIONS:
6. Does Charlie need a rental car?
If Charlie is flying to your event, yes, he prefers to pick up a rental car at the airport. ABR will book it and include the cost with his travel expenses (The cost for this is typically $50-100 for a 2-3 day weekend).
TOPIC AND CONTENT QUESTIONS:
7. Can we pick the topic(s) Charlie teaches on or does he prefer to pick the topic?
We encourage you to pick the topic(s) from ANY ON THIS LIST. Charlie would also be happy to discuss the options with you over the phone.
8. Does Charlie do Q&A's or radio interviews after his teaching sessions?
No. For a variety of reasons, Charlie no longer does these. But he is happy to answer peoples' questions at his resource table in the foyer for as long as people would like to talk after the teachings.
AUDIO & VIDEO QUESTIONS:
9. What are Charlie's technical needs when he teaches?
As you have probably seen, Charlie incorporates a lot of visual PowerPoint slides into his teachings. For the presentations to flow smoothly, Charlie must be able to control his presentation himself, from his computer (a MacBook Air), at the pulpit (not the sound booth's computer—even if the church provides him with a remote). This requires one of the following connections to the projector to exist:
• Male VGA cable at the pulpit
10. Can we record the audio of Charlie's message as he teaches?
Yes. Please do and feel free to archive it on your website, publish it on your podcast, radio program, etc.
11. Can we record video of Charlie's message(s) as he teaches?
Yes, but not for distribution, sale, or archival on the Internet (Facebook Live, Youtube, Vimeo, etc.). Online archived videos greatly undermine one of ABR's only sources of income—DVD and on-demand video sales. Without that income, ABR's ministry would come to a standstill. Contact us about this if you have any questions or concerns, and we'll explain more of our heart behind this.
12. Can we sell CDs or DVDs of Charlie's teaching after the service?
No, we ask that don't. Charlie almost always travels with pre-recorded DVDs and CDs that we'd like to make available after the service. The sale of these resources is how God provides for our ministry to continue. If your church normally gives out a free CD to children's ministry workers, parking lot servants, etc. (who miss the teaching), please do feel free to do that.
13. Does Charlie prefer a podium mic or wireless mic?
Wireless is his first choice; He travels with his own Countryman over-the-ear mic that often works well with churches' audio hip packs. But whatever unit you provide will be fine also.
GRAPHIC ARTS & PROMOTIONAL MATERIALS QUESTIONS:
14. Can you provide us a high quality image of the ABR logo for promotional use?
Yes, happy to. Click here for different options.
15. Can you provide us a headshot or photograph of Charlie Campbell teaching?
Yes, of course. Click here.
16. What kind of food does Charlie like?
Please do not feel the need to feed him. But if you are planning on a dinner or lunch with him, you can hardly go wrong. He loves Mexican, Thai, Italian, Japanese, etc.
17. We have a green room for the worship team and speakers. Does Charlie like anything in particular before or in between services?
He really doesn't like to eat much before he teaches. If there are three or more services (e.g., at a Sunday morning gathering) some fresh fruit, a muffin, and coffee are appreciated but not necessary.
18. Does Charlie prefer regular coffee or decaf?
Regular. Black. No creamer or sugar needed.
19. We'd like to put a basket with goodies in the hotel room for Charlie. What does he like?
This offer is so appreciated but not necessary.
RESOURCE TABLE QUESTIONS:
20. Would Charlie like a table set up to make some of his books and DVDs available after he teaches?
Yes, that would be a blessing. Two six-foot tables or one eight-foot table is his first choice. One six-foot table is a bit small for all of his books and DVDs to be laid out. A single table also tends to create a traffic jam at churches with more than 100 people. Two tables allows the line to spread out and move faster.
21. When Charlie arrives, will he want any help at his table setting out his books and DVDs?
No. He prefers to lay things out in a particular way without any help. Thank you though!
22. Will Charlie man his table after each teaching? Would he like a helper at that point?
Yes, it is best if he is at his table after each gathering to answer questions about the content in his books, different DVDs, etc. If the church has more than 150 adults, a helper or two would be a blessing. Thank you.
23. Will Charlie bring change for his table?
Yes. He will also be able to accept debit and credit cards on his iPhone.
24. Would Charlie like to use our Wi-Fi (and login code) for his Square credit card swiper?
Yes, that is for sure a blessing (though not a must if it is not available). Charlie accepts credit and debit cards at his resource table. Having Wi-Fi and a login code speeds up the credit card transactions.
25. Any advice on how we should introduce Charlie before he comes up to speak?
Please feel free to say whatever you'd like, but here's a sample:
"Charlie Campbell is an itinerant Christian apologist. He travels throughout the year speaking at churches and conferences, equipping Christians to answer skeptics, atheists, the cults, and other critics of the Bible. He is the author of several books and DVDs on the existence of God and the reliability of the Bible, as well as the founder of the popular apologetics website AlwaysBeReady.com. Prior to his current role, he was an instructor at the Calvary Chapel Bible College in Murrieta, California. He lives in sunny San Diego, California, with his wife and five kids. Please welcome with me if you would, Charlie Campbell..."
TRAVEL REIMBURSEMENT QUESTIONS:
26. Who should we make the check out to for travel reimbursement and/or an honorarium?