Answers to Churches' FAQs About Scheduling Charlie Campbell
Thank you for your interest in having Charlie Campbell speak at your church, conference, etc. We are often asked the same questions every few days regarding Charlie speaking, so we have laid out answers to all of the common questions below...
1. How much does ABR charge for Charlie to come and speak?
This is the most common question ABR gets, so we'll start by answering it. ABR does not charge a "speaker's fee" for Charlie to come and teach. All we ask is that the church, organization, or group organizing the event:
A. Cover Charlie's travel expenses if he is flying to your event (airfare, airport parking, hotel, and rental car). He lives in San Diego, California.
B. Prayerfully consider an honorarium of whatever amount the church leadership thinks is appropriate, which might vary depending on the size of the church, Charlie's traveling time, multiple services, multiple topics, etc.
FLIGHT RELATED QUESTIONS:
2. Where does Charlie fly out of?
San Diego, California
3. Should we book Charlie's flight or will ABR do it?
ABR prefers to book Charlie's flights (and hotel, rental car, etc.) and then to be reimbursed with a check that can be handed to Charlie Campbell or mailed to our office after the event.
HOTEL / LODGING QUESTIONS:
4. Does Charlie prefer to stay with a host family or at a hotel?
Hotel. For ten years Charlie traveled around the country often staying with host families and in dozens of two-star motels (with thin walls, loud plumbing, cigarette odor, etc.). He has some great stories! But in 2015 the ABR leadership team decided that in the interest of the teachings flowing out of a well-rested speaker, three-star hotels are the wiser choice. Hotels like Hilton Garden Inns, Courtyards, and Hampton Inns, though slightly more expensive, usally provide for a much better night's sleep.
*If your venue is south of Lompoc/Santa Barbara, in California, a hotel will not be needed. Charlie will drive to your event.
5. Should we book the hotel or will ABR do this?
ABR will book the hotel. A three-star hotel typically runs $95-175 per night. The cost of the hotel will be included in his travel expenses, which ABR will email you a week or two before the scheduled teaching event.
RENTAL CAR QUESTIONS:
6. Does Charlie need a rental car?
If Charlie is flying to your event, yes, he prefers to pick up a rental car at the airport. ABR will book it and include the cost with his travel expenses (The cost for this is typically $50-100 for a weekend).
TOPIC AND CONTENT QUESTIONS:
7. Can we pick the topic(s) Charlie will speak about?
Yes! Feel free to let us know what topic you'd prefer from ANY ON THIS LIST.
8. Does Charlie do Q&As after his teaching sessions?
For a variety of reasons (some of which are explained here), Charlie no longer does Q&As. But he is happy to chat with people at his resource table after the time of speaking.
AUDIO, VIDEO & POWERPOINT QUESTIONS:
9. What are Charlie's Audio-Visual PowerPoint needs when he teaches?
As you may have seen, Charlie's teachings are visual presentations with a lot of PowerPoint slides (photographs of archaeological discoveries, distant galaxies, the Dead Sea Scrolls, etc). For the presentations to flow smoothly, Charlie must be able to control the presentations himself, from his computer, at the pulpit (not the sound booth's computer—even if the the AV team provides him with a remote). This requires one of the following connections to the church's projector(s) to exist:
• Male or female VGA cable at the pulpit
• HDMI cable at the pulpit
• Apple TV in the sound room or by the projector with a Wi-Fi connection
And lastly, whatever set up the church decides on, please test the setup before the event. Charlie has shown up to several churches over the years who didn't test the set up ahead of time because, "It worked the last time a speaker used it (a year ago!), so we thought it would work fine." The AV team overlooked that, after that event, someone disconnected the power or a cable, etc.
10. Do Charlie's PowerPoint presentations have any audio (sound) in them?
No, just visuals.
11. Can we record the audio of Charlie's message as he teaches?
Yes. Please do and feel free to archive it on your website, publish it on your podcast, radio program, etc.
12. Can we record video of Charlie's message(s) as he teaches?
Yes, for internal records, but please not for distribution, use, sale, or archival on Youtube, Vimeo, etc. Online archived videos greatly undermine one of ABR's only sources of income—DVD and on-demand video sales. Without that income, ABR's ministry would come to an immediate standstill. Contact us about this if you have any questions or concerns, and we'll explain more of our heart behind this.
13. Can we sell CDs or DVDs of Charlie's teaching after the service?
CDs yes. DVDs no. Charlie almost always travels with pre-recorded DVDs that we'd like to make available after each service. The sale of these is the primary way God provides for the ABR ministry to continue.
14. Does Charlie prefer a podium mic, lavalier mic, or over-the-ear-mic?
His first choice is a wireless lavalier mic; he travels with two of his own high-quality Countryman lavalier mics (with all the different connector cables) that often work very well with churches' audio hip packs.
Second choice is an over-the-ear-mic.
Third, podium mic.
Last choice, a handheld mic.
GRAPHIC ARTS & PROMOTIONAL MATERIALS QUESTIONS:
15. Can you provide us an ABR website logo for promotional use?
Yes, happy to. Click here for different options.
16. Can you provide us a headshot or photograph of Charlie Campbell?
Yes, of course. Click here.
17. What time will Charlie arrive at the event?
One hour before the first service. This usually allows ample time for him to work with the AV team setting up his computer, test wireless mic, set up book table.
18. What kind of food does Charlie like?
Please do not feel the need to feed him. But if you are planning on a dinner or lunch with him, you can hardly go wrong. He loves Mexican, Thai, Italian, Japanese, or even just a good salad or burger. He's real easy.
19. We have a green room for the worship team and speakers. Does Charlie like anything in particular before or in between services?
He really doesn't like to eat much before he teaches. If there are three or more services, some fresh fruit, a muffin, and coffee are appreciated.
20. Does Charlie prefer regular coffee or decaf?
Regular. Black. No creamer or sugar needed.
21. We'd like to give Charlie a basket to take home or enjoy at his hotel room. What does he like?
You all are too kind! This offer is so appreciated but absolutely not necessary. But, if it would bless someone to do that, we certainly don't want to thwart someone sharing their gift of hospitality. Some of Charlie's favorite things are water bottles, cold-brew coffee, fruit (grapes, strawberries, oranges, apples), mixed nuts, Kind bars, popcorn, Fritos.
RESOURCE TABLE QUESTIONS:
22. Would Charlie like a table set up to make some of his books and DVDs available after he teaches?
Yes, that would be a blessing. Two six-foot tables or one eight-foot table is his first choice. One six-foot table is a bit small for all of his books and DVDs to be laid out. A single table also tends to create a traffic jam at churches with more than 100 people. Two tables allows the line to spread out and move faster.
23. When Charlie arrives, will he want any help at his table setting out his books and DVDs?
No. He prefers to lay things out in a particular way without any help. Thank you though!
24. Will Charlie man his table after each teaching? Would he like a helper at that point?
Yes, it is best if he is at his table after each gathering to answer questions about the content in his books, different DVDs, etc. If the church has more than 150 adults, a helper or two would be a blessing. Thank you.
25. Will Charlie bring change for his table?
Yes. He will also be able to accept debit and credit cards on his iPhone.
26. Would Charlie like to use our Wi-Fi (and login code) for his Square credit card reader?
Yes, that is for sure a blessing (though not a must if it is not available).
27. Any advice on how we should introduce Charlie before he comes up to speak?
Please feel free to say whatever you'd like, but here's a sample:
"Charlie Campbell is an itinerant Christian apologist. He travels throughout the year speaking at churches and conferences, equipping Christians to answer skeptics, atheists, the cults, and other critics of the Bible. He is the author of several books and DVDs on the existence of God and the reliability of the Bible, as well as the founder of the popular apologetics website AlwaysBeReady.com. Prior to his current role, he was an instructor at the Calvary Chapel Bible College in Murrieta, California. He lives in sunny San Diego, California, with his wife and five kids. Please welcome with me if you would, Charlie Campbell..."
TRAVEL REIMBURSEMENT QUESTIONS:
28. Who should we make the check out to for travel reimbursement and/or an honorarium?